Thursday, November 21, 2013

Maintenance Part 3: Virus/Malware Scanning

Most people know that keeping viruses out of your computer will go a long way to keep your computer running happy. But there is another side to this some people don't know about which is Malware.
Malware is any program that seeks bad intentions while on your system.  It could be a program such as a "key logger" which watches your key strokes and knows when you enter passwords into websites and stores that info later so they can use it and get into your accounts. Or maybe a "adware" that will cause your internet browser to show ads that will slow your browser down.
You might already have a good anti virus program such as Norton or McAfee. I hope that you run those regularly. I personally use a Free antivirus know as Avast which I think is amazing considering that I have never had a virus in over 8 years of using it. If you are not running one I would suggest your get one now because just surfing normal sites can you malware every now and then. If you want I highly suggest Avast which can be gotten by clicking here.  It is now on more than 202 million devices. I will let its help page tell you how to use it but it is pretty simple.
Also just letting a antivirus run in the background it not enough. I don't know about others but when you use the scan tool on Avast it also scans for Malware too so it can do it all. I would say run a scan at least once a month. Once you start the scan you can use your computer but it best to let it sit and scan so it can finish faster. I say that because depending on your hard drive a scan could take several hours on my 1.5tera it takes about 4 hours for a through scan.
If you have lots of malware on your computer after running a scan you should see a very noticeable improvement in performance. Thanks once again for reading and I hope you have a great day and my your computer be faster now remember to check the other 2 parts to this if you haven't already and feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment