Monday, September 8, 2014

How to make default Icons for all users on Mac OS X 10.6 or later

Hello;
This is for the more advanced users I am afraid. I ran into this problem at my campus. I needed to have a set of Icons ready for for students so they could log into a program called Reading Counts. They could navagate to it via web but getting 5th grades to do that 20 times over 8 times a day was a bit to much i should think. This is a guide on how to make icons available to every student aka user on your mac. This is also by no means the only way it is just the way I found and figured out and it works for me. I hope this will help any one looking for how to do this.
This is also from my personal notes so formating may be a bit rough I will try to clean it up some.

First: You need to get the icons you want to give out and copy them such as shortcuts and web short cuts. 
Then in finder click go and go to folder and type /System then click library, then go to userTemplates select it and hit command+I to get info. Drop down permissions, and by putting in admin password give your self permission to read and write. 
Then after that go into it and look up english.lprog then go to desktop and do the same thing as before to give your self permission. 
Now you are at the default desktop. Any icons or shortcuts you put in here with show up on the desktop of any new first time user. 
To make sure this works with all new users delete all user files by going into finder, clicking macbook hard drive click users and move all user files to the trash except any that need to be saved, shared, administrator, and the current user. 
The next time some one logs on it will show those icons.

I really hope this helps it took me about 1.5 hours to do this on 25 mac book unibodies. I am not the fastest person in the world either and I could only do 2 at a time in front of me. I really do hope this helps some one it sure did me.

No comments:

Post a Comment